What is a session?
According to the OKRs methodology, goals should be time-bound. So Sessions represent the time period in which given group of Objectives is meant to be achieved.
For example, if you are planning OKRs in quarters, then you could have a session called Q1 2018 which starts on January 1st 2018 and ends on March 31st 2018.
A session can be in one of the three states:
- Open - when a session is open, users can add, edit and delete objectives and key results. This state is used when people are still defining, negotiating and planing OKRs for the upcoming period.
- In Progress - when a session is in progress, users can only update their progress on key results. They are not allowed to add new objectives, remove existing ones or modify targets. This state is used once the OKR period has started and the session's been locked.
- Archived - when planning session is archived no more actions are possible on it or it's objectives, but it is kept for reference.
Create your first session
- Navigate to OKRs > Browse sessions or Manage Sessions
- Use the Create a session button
In the modal window set a name to the session, specify the time period and click Create and go to the session button to move forward with creating your first OKR.
Create a new session
Once your current OKR session is about to end, you may want to create a new one for the upcoming OKR period, e.g. next quarter.
To create a new session:
- Navigate to OKRs screen > Manage Sessions
- Choose Create a Session button
Again, follow the same steps to finalise your session creation - set a name, period and save it using Create and go to the session button.
Now that you have your session created, let's create objectives and key results that represent company's goals for the chosen time period.