In general, every manual key result in Gtmhub is to be accomplished by the end of the Planning Session. Sometimes, however, one wants to set up the manual key results in such way that it can only be fully attained if it is finished before the end of the Planning Session.
To accommodate this need, Gtmhub allows setting custom deadlines for manual key results. There are two types of deadlines you can set on a key result:
- Hard deadline
- Soft and Hard deadline
When you set a hard deadline on a key result, updating the progress after the deadline will be disabled.
How to set a hard deadline on key result
When you are creating or editing a key result, locate the Custom deadline for this particular key result drop down and select from it Hard deadline only. Then, in the calendar that will appear, click on the date by which the key result is to be accomplished.
There is a numeric key result called Conduct 20 customer interviews and it has a hard deadline set on February 20th 2017.
- On February 5th you update the progress to 2 and your attainment is 10%.
- On February 15th you update the progress to 10 and your attainment is 50%.
- On February 23rd you try to update the progress to 12, but you cannot - because the hard deadline has passed - and your attainment stays at 50% (the last check-in from February 15th).
Soft and Hard deadline
Sometimes, there are situations when accomplishing something by a given date would be ideal, but realistically even if missed by a little, results would be pretty good. To track progress on such key results, you can set both soft and hard deadline. Progress on key results with both soft and hard deadlines will be measured as follows:
- You will receive full attainment on your progress until soft deadline
- The progress you made after soft deadline, but before hard deadline will be discounted (depending on the check-in date)
- You won't be able to update progress after the hard deadline has passed
How to set a soft and hard deadline on key result
When you are creating or editing a key result, locate the Custom deadline for this particular key result drop down and select from it Soft and hard deadline. Then, in the two calendars that will appear, select soft deadline from the left one and hard deadline from the right one. Keep in mind that:
- Soft deadline has to be earlier date than hard deadline
- Both, soft and hard, deadlines need to be dates after Planning Session start and before Planning Session end.
There is a boolean key metric called Release new website. It has a soft deadline set on February 1st 2017 and hard deadline set on February 10th 2017.
- If you check-in yes or true result before February 1st 2017, you will score 100% attainment on this key result.
- If you check-in yes or true result on February 3rd 2017, you will score 70% attainment on this key result. The reason for this is that your attainment of 100% is discounted by 30%. The soft deadline represents 100% attainment and hard deadline 0% attainment. February 3rd represents a 30% of time between soft and hard deadline.
- You will not be able to check-in your progress after February 10th 2017, as that represents the hard deadline. If you have not checked-in yes or true before that date, your attainment will be 0%
Check-ins made on the soft deadline won't be discounted. Discounting will begin on the check-ins performed the day after soft deadline.
It is not possible to set only soft deadline - it always has to be set together with hard deadline.
Soft and hard deadlines for numeric key results
When setting soft and hard deadlines for numeric key results, one may wonder what happens with check-ins made after the soft deadline has passed, but not before hard deadline has passed.
Following image illustrates this situation.
The important thing to note here is that only the progress made after soft deadline has passed will be discounted. In other words, checking-in progress after the soft deadline will not discount your attainment before the soft deadline, but only the net difference in progress since the soft deadline has passed.