You can change the default behavior of a planning session. For example, make it private to a certain group of people or change who gets to read, update, delete, create OKRs, and modify permissions within that session.
BEST PRACTICE: According to the best practices, OKRs should be transparent to the whole organization, because transparency is one of the key pillars of OKR benefits.
Sometimes there is a necessity to the limit the visibility of specific OKRs. It may be because of sensitive information or project specifics where non-disclosure is required.
For such cases, Gtmhub allows you to set custom permissions for your OKR sessions.
Default visibility of sessions
By default, planning sessions are visible to the whole organization and each team member can create, update, and delete objectives.
Change session permissions
If you do not define permissions, by default the whole account will have access to this session.
Perform the following
- In the navigation pane, under OKRs, click All sessions.
- Click the session whose permissions you want to edit.
- In the Permissions dropdown box, select Custom.
- Click + Select from list.
- Click the Employees, Teams, Roles, or Account tab.
If you select Account, you are giving permissions to all users in the current account, regardless of their teams or roles.
- Select who will have permissions for this session.
For example, you can select two employees and one team.
Your selection appears under the Permissions dropdown box.
- Expand the selector of each entry.
- Select whether you want to give Read, Update, Delete, Create, or Modify permission rights.
NOTE: When setting session permissions, you must grant at least one person full permissions, including to Modify permissions permission. If you do not do it, you will see a reminder.
NOTE: If you want users to be able to see all OKRs but only be able to update their own OKRs, then you can grant these users only the Read permission. This will allow them to update OKRs that are assigned to them or the team they belong to.
- Save the session.
NOTE: If the objectives are assigned to the team, but the key results are assigned to individuals, every member of the team will be able to update all key results belonging to this objective, because permissions are applied on an objective level.
You want to create a session that is visible to everyone, but objectives can be modified by a specific user.
In this case, whole organization will be able to see the objectives. However, only a specific user will be able to create, update, and delete OKRs.
Perform the following:
- In the Permission dropdown box, click + Select from list.
- Click the Account tab.
- Click the account and click Apply.
- Expand the selector of Everyone in this account.
- Select Read and deselect Update, Delete, Create, and Modify permissions checkboxes.
- Click + Select from list again.
- Click the Employees tab.
- Select the user that will be able to create, update, and delete OKRs.
- Click Apply.
- Expand the selector of the user.
- Select Read, Update, Delete, Create, and Modify permissions checkboxes.
- Click Save session.