This specific feature allows you to align OKRs between different sessions in Gtmhub.
Before being able to do so, however, you need to:
- Create one annual session (read this article in order to learn how to set up your first session in Gtmhub)
- Create at least two different quarterly sessions for your company
- Create at least one objective per session (read this article if you need additional assistance in setting up your first objectives in Gtmhub)
- Create Key Results for every Objective (read this guide in order to set up your first KRs in Gtmhub)
Checking up your annual session alignment
Now that you already created your first Annual Session (having the working title 1-Year Plan 2020), navigate to the OKRs screen > Manage Sessions to review its current alignment and its relationship with the newly created quarterly sessions.
Checking up your first quarterly sessions alignment
"Validate the initial market opportunities", for instance, is a proper OKR for the first quarter while "Drive significant international demand" might be more relevant for Q2.
Again, navigate to the OKRs screen > Manage Sessions to view the quarterly sessions'(mis)alignment.
Setting up your first annual and quarterly OKRs
Setting up the first OKRs in both the annual and quarterly sessions is mandatory.
Go to the OKRs drop-down menu and click on the respective session (in this case, this is the 1-Year Plan 2020) to see your first annual OKR.
This is how your annual objective should look like:
When you complete setting up the first quarterly objectives, go to OKRs drop-down menu and click on the respective session.
The OKR for the first quarter should look like this:
The OKR for the second quarter should look like this:
Please note that although you can cross-link Objectives without any preset Key Results, it's a good practice to assign 2 to 4 Key Results per Objective so that you can track progress, improve alignment, and focus on executing top priorities in a meaningful way.
Let's do a quick recap
So, by now, we've created:
- One annual session (1-Year Plan 2020) with only one annual OKR ("Raise Series А")
- Two quarterly sessions (Q1 2020 and Q2 2020)
- One Objective per quarterly session ("Validate commercial market opportunities" and "Drive significant international demand")
- 2-4 Key Results per Objective in each session
What can also be inferred is that none of these OKRs are related to each other.
You easily fulfilled all the necessary criteria that were mentioned at the beginning of the article. You're now ready to do some cross-linking among all the OKRs in these sessions.
Setting up the OKRs alignment from different sessions
So that you can set a relationship among the OKRs, you need to:
- Navigate to the OKRs > Manage sessions
- Choose the session that you want to set a relationship for (let's go for Q1 2020 first) and click on the setup button right next to it
- Choose Edit
- Go to the Belongs to subsection and click on the Select parent session button
- Select the respective parent session from the drop-down list (in this case, this should be 1-Year Plan 2020
- Click the Saver session button
When you're done, navigate to the OKRs screen > Manage sessions to check the new alignment between those two sessions.
It should look like this:
Repeat the exact same steps to align OKRs in the Q2 2020 session to the Annual 1-Year Plan 2020 session.
Once you've done that, the alignment between the two quarterly sessions to the annual session should look like this:
By following these steps, you can better visualize these sessions' cross-linking:
- Navigate to the OKRs screen
- Pick Browse session from the drop-down menu
- Select 1-Year Plan 2020
- Go to the Alignment BETA subsection
- Navigate to the Cross-session linking and Options left -hand side to set up better alignment visualization among the sessions