This article contains some examples of custom fields that you can create for objectives, key results, and key result updates.
You can add as many custom fields to a type, as required.
For more information, see Create custom fields.
Objectives custom fields
The following are examples of custom fields that you can define for objectives:
Define risks which you may face on the way of attaining your objective
- Execution notes
Simple notes which explain how you plan to achieve the objective
- Strategic initiative
Key cross-company initiatives which tie to the objective
- Opportunity cost
What other activities are you sacrificing in order to do this one
EXAMPLE: Following is an example of the objective custom field Risks:
- Name: risks
- UI Label: Risks
- Description: What may prevent us from achieving this objective?
- UI Selector: Text area
- Select target type: Objective
- Required: Deselected
Key results custom fields
The following are examples of custom fields that you can define for key results:
- Shared responsibility
Identify teams or individuals that share the responsibility for a key result
Describe what you will do to mitigate risks while pursuing progress
EXAMPLE: Following is an example of the key result custom field Shared responsibility:
- Name: share_resp
- UI Label: Shared responsibility
- Description: Who will share the responsibility for this key result?
- UI Selector: User/Team selector
- How many owners can be selected?: One
- What types of owners can be selected?: Both
- Select target type: Key Result
- Required: Deselected
Key result updates custom fields
The following are examples of custom fields that you can define for key result updates:
- Priorities for the week
A list with the most important things you plan to do to achieve your OKR
- Upcoming projects
A list of projects coming up in the next 4 weeks
Key things you want to keep your eyes on, such as team health and key customer relationships.
Evaluation of key results at the mid-term and the end of an OKR session.
EXAMPLE: Following is an example of the key result update custom field Score:
- Name: scoring
- UI Label: Score
- Description: What is the key result update score at the mid-term?
- UI Selector: One option menu
- Option 1: No, we failed to make progress
- Option 2: Yes, we delivered
- Select target type: Key Result Update
- Required: Selected
NOTE: Andy Grove’s method of grading OKRs is a Yes or No approach. You either delivered or failed to deliver. A more advanced method is to score each key result on a scale from 0.0 to 1.0, where:
- 0.0 - 0.3 is a failure to make progress
- 0.4-0.6 means some progress was made but, you did not quite make it
- 0.7-1.0 means you succeeded